Canale d'Agordo

The charming mountain village of Canale d'Agordo in the Biois Valley (976 m) is the gateway to the uncontaminated and enchanting Valle di Gares, a starting point for hikes and walks of varying degrees of difficulty as well as the ideal place to enjoy relaxing picnics surrounded by nature in the heart of the Dolomites UNESCO World Natural Heritage Site.

Once the economic centre for the entire Valle del Biois thanks to the mining and ironworks in Gares and Sais (until 1748, the name of the village was indeed "Forno di Canale"; "forno" means "oven" or "furnace"), Canale d'Agordo has managed to preserve its simplicity and uniqueness in spite of the fact that it is the birthplace of Albino Luciani, that is Pope John Paul I "the Smiling Pope" and has thus become a Mecca for thousands of pilgrims who come visit every year.

Canale d'Agordo is extraordinarily rich of features and peculiarities that make this small village interesting from the point of view of tourism: on the main square, Piazza Papa Luciani, the tourists can admire the archpriest church dedicated to Saint John the Baptist which contains a remarkable artistic patrimony including the wooden altar by Dante Moro, the altar by Andrea Brustolon and a priceless pipe organ by Gaetano Callido.

Pending completion of the new museum dedicated to the Pope, an interesting exhibit is located in the vicarage on the other side of the square; the house of the Pope is situated in Via XX Agosto, not far from the main square. 

Canale d'Agordo is furthermore where the first alehouse of Italy (1847) and the first dairy cooperative of Italy (1872) were founded.

In the small square of the hamlet of Tancon, at almost 100 meters from the main square of Canale d'Agordo, there is the old "Casa delle Regole" ("House of Rules"), an historic frescoed building dated 1640 which in the past was the core of the administration of the village; close to the building the tourist can visit free of charge the monumental path by Giovanni Fontanive called "Giardino della Memoria" (Garden of Memory) dedicated to the Fallen and Missing of the Russian Campaign 1941-43.

A peculiarity of Canale d'Agordo is surely the abundance of water supplies, as witnessed by the massive presence of fountains in the streets of the village. Like other Municipalities of the Biois Valley, Canale has a great number of original wood barns, the "tabià", scattered throughout the village.