Val Fiorentina lies at the foot of Mount Pelmo along the course of the torrent Fiorentina, which crosses meadows and woods comes to flow in the creek Cordevole and from there into Lake of Alleghe.
Already more than 7000 years ago, some nomadic hunters frequented the Mondeval de Sora area to hunt and gather berries, the proof is the discovery of Mondeval Man's burial exposed today at the Museum Vittorino Cazzetta.
Towards the end of the first millennium A. C. the valley was crossed by shepherds who came from near Cadore and brought their flocks to graze in the higher areas of the valley, witnessed by the discoveries of Roman inscriptions in the Mount Fertazza area. More stable settlements occurred around the early centuries of the year 1000, when the territory was populated well as shepherds even lumberjacks, miners, and farmers began to form the first settlements.
From the fourteenth century, the extraction of iron from the neighboring Mines of Fursil intensified so as to bring a population increase and immigration throughout the country and the development of new arts including smiths and charcoal burners.
The first part of the twentieth century also brought in Val Fiorentina the tragedy of the two World Wars, the border of the Italian State with the Austro-Hungarian Empire was moved, that was once located between the municipalities of Selva di Cadore and Colle Santa Lucia along the creek Codalonga .
In recent years, agriculture and pastoralism were abandoned living space for the development of tourism